Sri K. Pattabhi Jois (founder of Ashtanga yoga) once said "Do your practice and all is coming." I love this quote from him oh-so much. It speaks to the journey of bringing yoga into your life. You may start by simply wanting to be fit or feel better, but as you dive in you will discover the amazing perspective it brings to your life and the life of those around you. For me, daily asana not only makes my body feel better, but it enables me to be more present and mindful throughout my day. I think committing to a daily practice can be really intimidating. I had to let go of expectation (because I inevitable would let myself down) and decide each day I will integrate some sort of yoga into the day. Some days, I have a serious asana practice with all the bells & whistles, but other days my practice may only be a few poses and sitting focused on my breath for five minutes. Whatever it can be I let it be...without judgment and without expectation. More often than not, when I roll out that mat with the intention to stay 10 minutes I end up there for longer. It just feels so good. Like coming home after a long day.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Six Weeks to a Daily Practice
For many people it is hard to think about adding yet another thing to their day. Here's a six week guide to integrate yoga into your life. If you teach, consider printing it out and having it available for your students. Something similar was passed along to me over ten years ago at one of my first yoga classes and helped me bring yoga into my life!
Week One
Week Two
Week Three
Week Four
Week Five
Week Six
I think the most important thing to remember when bringing yoga into your daily life is that it's ok to let your practice be simple if you have a busy day or feel overwhelmed AND it's a wonderful thing to listen to your body (and your inner light/teacher) and be an explorer on the mat. Do any of you have any suggestions about integrating an asana practice into your everyday?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- Annie Pace (1)
- Ashtanga (1)
- Ashtanga Yoga Club Durham (2)
- AshtangaYogaClubDurham (1)
- david garrigues ashtanga yoga donation yoga happy people doing yoga together (3)
- david garrigues ashtanga yoga donation yoga introduction class mysore team durham (2)
- donation based yoga (4)
- donation yoga (3)
- Easter (1)
- Easter Sunday (1)
- Guruji+Om Shanti+Love+Peace (1)
- Late December and Holiday Schedule (1)
- liberation (1)
- New beginnings (1)
- New Moon Day (1)
- New Years Day Guided Primary Series (1)
- november it's complicated (1)
- Schedule 5/14 - 5/17 Up and Over Gobama (1)
- Shakti Sharinam (1)
- Thanksgiving Schedule (1)
- traverse the ocean of samsara for the holidays (1)
0 comments:
Post a Comment